View Single Post
Unread 05-25-2004, 02:44 PM   #81
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default Out of curiosity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightic
That wouldn't be the case in this instance.

No manner of taxes would account for that level of price inflation on an electrical item.

Dell simply charges that amount over here because we're all idiots and don't mind paying :shrug:

Further reading:

Inq

Dell charges an arm and a leg for a LCD monitor, but they are OEM'ed by Samsung. Whats Samsung want for the same monitor (in a different shell) in the UK?

Conversely, what does Phillips want for one? They're a European company rebranding another Korean LCD panel, an LG I believe. If there is one thing Dell does well, it is waging price wars against the competition in a given market. I bet everyone, including European companies, rip Europeans off, assuming it isn't taxation. I mean, its not like Dell would be moving lots of monitors in Europe if they cost twice what say, Phillips was selling them for.

Perhaps we should find a single on-line store, a big one that carries the respective competing brands chosen for battle, and go with a budget figure for items from that store. That way one region's higher taxes-getting ripped on prices issues would be a universal constant, rather than different. Whether we bought from that store or not, we would price our "test budget" accordingly.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote