Thread: Pump roundup
View Single Post
Unread 11-04-2002, 10:04 PM   #98
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

A bit off topic, but I wanted to say this anyways:

I agree that you should not just blindly buy a powerful pump without carefully considering how it will impact your overall system performance. I did that myself when I got started, even though I tried to select a pump that was adequate for my target flow and resistance... man, did I ever underestimate the resistance from the tubing . It took me quite a while to adapt my system to make the best use of the pump I bought. However, now that I have fine tuned everything I feel that I have a quite robust setup that packs a bit more punch than most out there. I think that the key for all those who are interested in using a pump that's more powerful than the Eheims or ViaAquas is to understand that the pump really is only one component in a system which needs to be carefully built to maximize any gains and minimize potential problems. Sure, anyone can buy the "standard" set of parts that 99% of the folks buy because they're "the best" parts... whatever. Their performance will be roughly the same as everyone elses online... to me that's not a whole lot of fun. That's not meant to put anyone down mind you... hell, I'm using a retail block myself (until I get one of Cathar's blocks that is ). However, part of enjoying the hobby is to experiment (or theorize, or machine, or whatever) because that's the thing about the hobby that makes it fun for those of us who enjoy it. If that means spending some money, then so be it, even if the money is "wasted". I guess what I am trying to say is understand what you are trying to build before you make any purchase towards your final setup. Remeber, the added pump heat is nothing that an extra large heatercore (or two) can't handle.

Just my $0.02... anyone got change for a loonie?

12.1 GHz of AMD's finest (17.7 GHz total) crunching proudly for the AMDMB.com Killer Frogs
SETI BOINC: Dual Opteron 246s (Iwill DK8N) | XP2800+ (Shuttle SN41G2) | 3x XP2400+ (ASUS A7N266-vm)
SETI BOINC: 2x P4 2.8E (ASUS P4R800-vm) | Crunching 24/7
Skulemate is offline   Reply With Quote