View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
nightic
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
nightic
you make more of the differences than warranted; there are simply 2 groups with different design philosophies
- the US is performance driven (the vocal part of the market anyway), Europeans are more appreciative of the phrase adequate
But why would they bother with adequate?
Adequate can readily be had far more cheaply/conveniently with a well-designed air-cooled heatsink.

Why would minimum CPU temperature not be a goal for anyone designing a system intended to cool said CPU?
That is to say what advantage is to be had by designing something that is merely adequate?

I appreciate that German systems are typically smaller and less complex but is this enough to sacrifice what you are stating would be large (very?) performance differences?

Taking into account what you've said, one would ask why bother with a German-style system at all?

Quote:
WRT the design issues:
when the system design goal is the minimum CPU temp, then the component selection will trend in a certain direction (bigger);
- but if the system design goal is only adequacy, then the system designer has the opportunity to make different tradeoffs not possible when going for the minimum CPU temp
What are these trade-offs and why make them?

Quote:
is there a balance ?
well, halfway between ¼” and ½” is . . . . . 3/8” ID, what a coincidence
lol
This balance then suggests certain disadvantages to the US 1/2" system.
What are these and how does moving to the more 'balanced' 3/8" system overcome them?

Please don't see the above questions as being combative, sincerely, that is not my intent, I just wish to be educated on these matters which I feel due to trends have been often overlooked.
nightic is offline   Reply With Quote