Thread: Galden ZT 150
View Single Post
Unread 03-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #38
Ultraviolet
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Galden ZT 150

As far as the PSU goes, the largest completely fanless PSU of any quality that I am aware of is 350 watts. I can add, and I don't need to buy that to discover it won't power an 8 drive RAID-5 server. So I either need two, or one large PSU (with fan) in which case I will dunk it in the Fluorinert to silence and cool it. But you're right, I'm presenting too many options--there's too much going on. So for now, I am planning on buying a nice quality PSU with fan, say 500+ watts, and submerge it. How would I determine how much extra heat this is adding to my system? Besides the Fluorinert, it's looking like the radiator is going to be the most expensive part of this project. I don't want to just buy one and "whoops" find out it won't cut it, or conversely, get one that 's way too big and have to buy and unecessary amount of coolant.

Brians256, the Fluorinert will be pumped through some large passive as yet undecided radiator (once I figure out how much heat I'm trying to dissipate). I will submerge the pump which should help quiet it, but remember, this whole contraption is going to be built into a piece of furniture. That is where I am expecting the bulk of the quieting to come from. Do you think I have a chance of silencing a pump like this?
Ultraviolet is offline   Reply With Quote