View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:07 PM   #51
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Does your simulation predict better cooling directly under a "cup"?
My crude models using heatspreading and convection coefficients give little enlightenment.
Think that a detailed analysis(including convection profile) by programs like TAS may be necessary to answer even that simple question.
Like Bill says, it's a bit of a mystery even to me. I can plug values in for h based upon observations, and reckon I might have an idea, but h is not something that I'm mathematically determining. Basically it's a process of "do some theory", build a block, measure it, revise the theory, make changes, and repeat.

I'm fairly confident that for lower flow rates (<4LPM) that the areas immediately under the jets where stagnation occurs are the hottest sections. At higher flow rates I believe that behavior slowly changes, but that perhaps the ratio of jet diameter to bp thickness is still perhaps a little too low. I also believe that there's also a small issue with the triangle cross-over between 3 adjacent cups at lower flow-rates, which is another thing that's changed on the XXX.

I think the main issue here is that h is varying very widely depending on both the flow-rate, and the actual location within any one cell, which of course is fairly obvious given jet theory, but I guess what I think I didn't anticipate is the magnitude of the effect that it is having on CPU overclock stability, which has caused me to re-think my strategy on ultra-thin (<1mm) bp's.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote