View Single Post
Unread 12-04-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
leejsmith
Cooling Savant

Default home made water cooled 6600gt agp not 56k friendly

I have not made any water blocks for a couple a couple of years but i still have everything left from when i attempted to make a cascade style block.

I wanted a 6800gt/ultra with the dd cooler but not the £500 price tag so when the 6600gt agp came out i picked one up and decided to make a cooler for it.

Now i know the ram is ddr3 and that it does not need cooling but i wanted to make a cooler for both anyway as more of a challange than anything else and as this one had the agp bridge chip i coverd that too.

If this goes well i might speak to a local CNC company i know and get an estimate for them to make it properly if anyone is interested but i dont think it will be cheap.

anyway first i worked on the design and measured the card as presice as i could.
The ram is 1.2mm thick and the core is 2.4 so i will also have to take 1.2mm of the back of the cooler.

after measureing i built a simple model of the card so i could start work on the cooler model. Then i printed out my design and started work.

and then to work with the trusty hacksaw

Once i had the shape i made sure the mounting holes are correct and drilled them out. With only 3 holes to mount and nothing at the top of the card i hope once it's installed it will stay inplace else the ram will suffer with bad contact.

Then using a bench drill and cross vice i started work on the core area and then the ram. The copper i used is 10mm this and i have drilled 5mm into it.
Then tidy up with the dremel.

This is about 4 hours work.

Hopefully i will do some more this weekend.