View Single Post
Unread 06-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #127
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxo
I think the flow restriction on these is not nearly as great as people think (I mean, think about it...).

People often think that they are achieving the flowrates that their pump is capable of, but the reality is that by the time you add blocks and tubing this has gone down to 25%. Most people's system does not flow as fast as they think it does.

I also suspect that flow is, well, a bit overrated. I have 1.7 l/min (which I know for a fact). Yet this happily cools two Opteron 250s (2x85W) plus a Radeon 9800 (50W) on a single BIX, fanned by a low-flow Panaflo. The temps you see a few posts up were at an ambient room temp of 25C. Currently (at 21C) I get 45C and 43C for the CPUs and 28C for the system.
Some people are in it more for the cooler temperatures and are unwilling to compromise their loop with unneccessary restrictions...

I'm sure that you'll realise that around here at least 90% of people realise that their pumps arent pumping that 1200lpm at 0 head... we're all well aware of pq curves and flow restriction.

I know that my system will be pushing upwards of 4-5lpm without issue - hell, my 1048 based system was running around 1gpm, and this 50z has double the head... Id rather add another block than add a flow meter that will cause the same restriction. FWIW, im running a heatercore, 50z + mcw6002, 20 ambient, 31 load w/ 2500+ @ 2.4ghz, 1.8vcore.

Different systems, different aims.