View Single Post
Unread 03-04-2003, 02:21 AM   #5
mindspat
Cooling Neophyte

I think my question could also fall under this topic.

Is it me or do TEC devices seem to be a little more versatile then the low efficient and very low cooled (don't forget the high volume water pumped system that's needed) mods that they've become?

I'll come out and admit that I know next to nothing about Thermoelectric-Couplings.

The common effect of the TEC is the difference in temperature between the two ceramic plates when a current is introduced. Lets say, inputing around 20 voltz and 8 amps into one the these babys gives it the ability to pump some serious watts. A majority of TECs have temp a variance on the two plate around 65-75 degrees (farinheight or celsius???).

Could we use this effect in the oposite manner?

We should be able to place TECs between a heatsource and a cooling system thus creating a little juice? Wouldn't be much. What about taking a few smaller TECs and strategically placing them in locations where definable hot/cold sources exist. They could add up and possibly add some type of reserve juice for a "very low usage" device.

I'm thnking about wiring a few TECs up to a capacitor and having it discharge into a LED or something. This would act like a sort of "Thermo-Lighting" giving of pulses or flashes reflecting temp at the TEC juncture. Not to mention some added "ooooss" and "ahhhhs".

Does anyone know the required temp difference on a TEC that would give a current?

I'm getting a handful of TECs next week. One is a 240-255 watt, two are 135-150 watt and there's about 10 smaller ones.

I would love some feedback.

Thanks.