View Single Post
Unread 08-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #94
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

I was thinking that I have seen white PVC with red (or mabye purple) lettering and stripes that designated it as sunlight resistant, outdoor use, etc. It may be that the PVC for sale at building supply stores is this type and it may well be true about the white pigment...Enough speculation -time for some facts!

Quote:
Me: The bulb measures:
Yeah -I guess I abandoned or erased the dims. The bulb is U-shaped and is advertised as 4" long. I will bring it home tonight and post the dims. you need tonight or tomorrow. Here are a couple of crude pics of it:

I was in a hurry when I took these and tried not to look at the light. I also didn't know what it might do to my camera...

That "95% UV let-through" quote was indicating the efficiency of the mercury vapor at concentrating the UV light into useable energy at 254nm. Their graph shows a scale from 100-600nm light energy with a strong peak at 254nm. I intended to seed this thread to find out if there is more energy emitted outside of this window (from 100-600nm) to verify the .18% efficiency I saw at the Philips link. There must be a lot of energy lost somewhere and I wanted to know where...infrared, visible light, etc.:shrug: I tend to ask too many questions...but, Visible light is .4-.7 um...