Thread: New daughter
View Single Post
Unread 02-26-2004, 11:31 PM   #113
Brians256
Pro/Staff

I just got the kids put down and I got a chance to read some of this stuff, and I'm still feeling overwhelmed at the response of all you fellow geeks out there.

I got Heather transferred to a rehabilitation center today called RIO (Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon) which is supposed to be good (anyone know how to do comparison shopping on rehab centers?). It is supposed to be an intense rehab course with 7 days a week of about 5 hours of therapy per day (which is probably pushing Heather to the max, since she is asleep so much during the day).

She fell asleep during the admittance interview, but the nurse says that happens a lot with stroke patients since the brain is trying to shut down and heal itself. I think she is doing very well with the physical side of recovery (she can walk with assistance!), but she's not progressing as well with other stuff (her saying that a nurse was her mother-in-law, for instance, was a big warning flag for the admit nurse). Right now, I'm most worried that she doesn't seem to have any emotions/initiative/personality. Hopefully that will come back as well.

So, thank you all for your help and prayers! I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with her rehab sessions and then back home with the kids. Work has been amazingly understanding with my wish to be with my wife as much as possible, and your help has really made it easier.

God bless you all for helping.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote