View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Greeting:

The largest HD in the Snap4000 with SnapOS v3.4.803 is 137GB. HOWERVER, if you can get SnapOS v3.4.805 OR above you can go up to a TOTAL in the system in RAID of 1TB. The 1TB is due to the file system problem in the SnapOS. You also can theoretically have 4 750GB in JBOD mode. The problem with this IS the power supply NOT being able to handle the power pull on start up.
So, with that being said, I would subjest this...

Option 1.

I have the SnapOS v3.4.805....

Answer: Obtain 1 to 4 250GB HD ATA100 and install in RAID or JBOD(Just A Bunch Of Drives)

Option 2.

I cannot obtain SnapOS v3.4.805...

Answer: Obtain 1 to 4 160GB or 120GB or anything below 160GB and install in RAID or JBOD.

Option 3.

I have the v3.4.805 and would like to install large hard drives above 250GB up to 750GB in a configuration of JBOD (NO RAID)

Answer: You cannot do this because of the power supply problem...UNLESS you replace the power supply with an new more powerful one to handle the extra Amp pull. But they(nobody) makes these power supply replacements except for one place , BUT that is a modified replacement of the existing one. So, you are still stuck with the same power supply problem.

In conclusion, Stick with Option 2, and if you are luck enough to obtain SnapOS v3.4.805 or greater then go with Option 1. Don't do Option 3. I bring up Option 3 because it IS possible but not probable.

With Option 1 you will need Assist to upgrade and the newer SnapOS and Option 2 is an interesting thing. I have not tried this, but the Snap4000 has an embedded OS, however If the SnapOS on your HD NOW has a newer SnapOS then the embedded one then I don't know if you can keep the newer one. You may be able to by trying the steps below.

Here is what I would do if I were to go with Option 2 with a newer SnapOS on the Old HDs.

*Shutdown and unplug unit and ground yourself.

Steps:

1.)Obtain 1 to 4 160GB or below remove* Old HD position 2,3,&4 but KEEP the old drives.

2.)Keep* the old drive in position #1

3.)Now, put* in the new drive(s) 160GB or below in position #2 and power up

4.)If all goes well I believe the position #1 will transfer SnapOS to position #2 AFTER you format hard drive in position #2. via WebGUI.

5.)We will now find out if step 4 worked.

6.)Shutdown server and remove* HD in position #1 and place HD from position #2 to position #1.
(Leave out the old hard drive that was originally in position #1)

7.)Connect power supply with new hard in postion #1 and see if it boots up to the WebGUI.

In closing, If it does work(boots up) then you have transfered the SnapOS from the OLD HD to the New HD and may install the other position(2,3,&4) with newer HDs. If it doesn't boot up(Check to make sure the HD is in M or CS before quitting) then all is not lost. You will just have to use the embedded SnapOS on the Mobo and everything should work without a problem.

Good luck,

bitor

P.S. Wait to see what other people's input are before trying.

David:
Would you please delete/edit out Harry.Butts link.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry.Butts View Post
I'm really glad I found this site. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here, and I just got my hands on a Snap 4000. It seems to work, but I'd like to upgrade the OS/Firmware, etc. I tried to D/L from http://download.adaptec.com...
, but it just tells me the page can't be displayed. Is there somewhere else I can get it?

The reason I want to upgrade is so I can add more storage. If I'm reading the posts correctly, the largest drive the 4000 will handle is 137 GB. Is that correct? Does that mean I can have four 137 GB (yea, I know there isn't one) drives, or is that the TOTAL space (like four 34GB drives)?

Last edited by bitor; 02-11-2009 at 10:46 AM.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote