View Single Post
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:05 PM   #11
obie_123
Cooling Neophyte

Default Proprietary OS and FS? Pics of 1100/2200 boards?

Hi-

I tried to send an email to the author of that Snap hack article, but it bounced. I thought you might be interested in my 2 cents (attached letter below). I know a bit about Linux in case you I can help there- let me know.

I was also wondering if anyone has looked inside other Snap models (the 1100 and 2200). If you can send me some digital pictures of those boards, I'd really appreciate it. I just read that the 4100 uses a Pentium 266 and 128MB of RAM.

Regards,

Roy

---------------------------------------------

Joe-

I read your October 16, 2001 hacking a Snap Server with *great* interest. I don't have one yet, but have been wondering what makes them tick.

Your article states that the OS is Linux. Following that, the discussion chain that follows says that they've tried mounting a master disk with various flavors of Windows, including looking at it with a tool that can see Linux's extsfs- all to no avail. They've left it with wanting to try a mount from a Linux machine, but my guess is that they'll not have luck there either since they couldn't even see the partition before.....

I think that the answer is that the low level format may be proprietary.
http://www.snapserver.com/products/os/index.asp

Is there a chance it is proprietary?

* More important question to me: Would you happen to have any photos inside the newer generation boxes, or do you know where to find them? Models 1100 and 2200 in particular?

Many Thanks,

Roy Hensley
972-371-3858 (day)
obie_123 is offline   Reply With Quote