View Single Post
Unread 10-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Default 100 sq mm Fluxdie worklog.

Finally been able to start work on the evolution of the fluxblock.
I am just posting these pictures to try and keep some kind of record of progress, also a strong motivating factor having this progress public.
Measurement data is a fair way away yet but having got to this stage I can start connecting up and calibrating thermistors.
Initial intentions are to characterise the behaviour of this kind of fluxblock setup, get some numbers for the MCW6000 and do a series of TIM tests at this new (for me) die size of 10x10mm. After that we'll see what other blocks become available and start accumulating measurements. I am interested in evaluating the negative impact of heat spreaders for example.
The theory is the same as with the earlier fluxblock but the arrangement of the sensors is different. Instead of a die with a single sensor, there are two thermistors spaced 5mm apart, the top one 2mm from the die surface. The fluxblock is now only 4mm high (12mm before) and has only one, centred, sensor instead of three. There are three reasons for these changes. 1. The experience with the previous arrangement showed that my accuracy was enough to use a closer spacing of fewer sensors. This also has the effect of 2. reducing the total heat path length, enabling me to keep the temperature of the heater down at a safer level especially with the smaller cross sectional area of the 100mm^2 vs 144mm^2. 3. This arrangement makes it easier for me to keep the Fluxblock aligned, despite it being smaller and fiddlier.
The Lexan clamping plate also serves as the primary insulator. Except for four clamping feet there is no contact with the die, there is a minimum of 1mm air gap between the die surfaces and the inside of the insulation clamp.
I am in two minds regarding the Lexan. The previous die ended up embedded inside a bubbled, melted lexan block due to an unscheduled meltdown. If the temperature is kept below ~140-170°C it maintains its integrity. This is not particularly high but at the same time I have not been able to find any rigid material that comes close to polycarbonate in terms of low thermal conductivity.
I have decided to go with it for now, mainly because I have some and I like its transparency.
I have been doing some (very) simple modelling of this setup and I am confident it will work OK.
More will become clear over the next few days/weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-pieces.jpg (83.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 3-back.jpg (83.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg close.jpg (73.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg top.jpg (95.3 KB, 61 views)
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote