View Single Post
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Ion
Cooling Neophyte

Default SLK-900 on a 7800 GT?

Got a Point of View 7800 GT equipped with the 7800 GT reference cooler. If you haven't seen it, it looks like this:

http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=5420

That means that I can forget about any plans of removing the plastic casing and the horrible litte fan from hell in order to replace it with a bigger fan. The heatsink is manufactured so that air only can enter and exit it from the sides.

My goal is a silent computer, and I won't settle for anything less than a 80 mm fan on this card. The alternatives seems to be to a) steal a heatsink from a 6800 GT, remove the casing and fan, smack on a bigger fan, or b) buy a new cooler.

However, I have a Thermalright SLK-900U (fastened using the Socket A holes) lying around, and though the 4 holes are not compatible with the 4 holes on the 7800 GT, after some initial calculations, there seems to be a chance of attaching it using only 2 holes diagonally.

The spacing between the Socket A holes are 66.09mm on the long side, and 36.14mm on the short side, which gives us a diagonal measurement of ~75.32mm.

The spacing between the 7800 GT holes are 53.5mm x 53.5mm, which gives us a diagonal of ~75.66mm.

That sounds possible right? Assuming the screws go through the 2mm holes on the 7800 GT. And talking about that, anyone knows if it is safe to make those holes larger?

Anyone has any thoughts on this?
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote