View Single Post
Unread 03-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #134
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

My theory as to why Cath's idea works so well:

1. A fan will produce maximum flow when it is in open air (100% air available to it)
2. A radiator, such as a BIX, hinders air flow. For purposes of discussion we will say that air flow is reduced to %50 of the fans maximum.
3. Having a larger core, in this case 16x16cm, allows for more area through which air can enter the fan. At the same time it provides more frontal area.

Through maintaining adequate airflow and increasing frontal area the larger 16x16cm core can be said to be "optimized". I would be curious to see how it performs against a BIX with a higher CFM fan. I wouldn't be surprised if the performance increase provided by the 16x16cm core didn't scale linearly over its BIX counterpart. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if a 16x16cm core wasn't optimized (to some point) for any 12cm fan regardless of airflow.

Anyone following me here? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

If you think you are missing my point or misinterpreting it let me know.

Assuming that 16x16cm are the optimized HxL demensions for a 12cm fan, one could simply vary depth to suit fans of different air pressure (some can translate this as air flow). Higher pressure fans would work better with deeper cores. Likewise lower pressure fans would work better with more shallow cores.

Last edited by maxSaleen; 03-17-2005 at 09:35 PM.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote