View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
derraa
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: watercooling lost its magic

wow, i wasnt quite expecting such a response.

I agree with joe on most points. I definatly had much more fun, and was much more captivated when I could bang out a water block on a drill press with a different pattern of holes and see a performance change. the industry was changeing so rapidly, and even the poor high school student like I was could potentially change something. now the amount of machinery and skill required to make a block that is pushing the envelope effectivly take it out of the hands of all but a few. also, as we aproach the wall where the c/w of a system is pretty damn good, even a huge increase in performance yields minimal gains. as joe said, back then a trip to pepboys could get you 5C.

at cathar, perhaps multimedia, such as video encoding could become the killer app. processing can be more and more moved out of the press the button and go to breakfast and into realtime. effects and such can be shown realtime in the user interface with enough processing power. currently you use hige parrallel processing for this, but home pcs are getting better. although on the other hand, how many home users would actually care about this. my mother is still more than happy with the tbird 1000 i built her out of spare parts years ago.

basically my bottom line is that watercooling has become somthing that i do because its what ive enjoyed for years. and yes it is fun to see the looks on bewildered peoples faces when you say theres water in the computer. but theres just no more adventure like there was when everything was ghettoed togeather.
derraa is offline   Reply With Quote