View Single Post
Unread 01-30-2004, 03:31 AM   #76
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

Butcher

That Seagate link is good.

Not sure they all come with internal monitoring though, a couple of Maxtors that I had from 2000 / 2001 weren't supported as are quite a few according to this list.

http://www.siguardian.com/products/h...ture/hdds.html

I'm sure most new ones today come with it. I suppose its of only overall guidance if you don't know where the diode is mounted, could be next to a hot running IC :shrug:

bigben2k

I understand what you are saying there will technically be an optimum way to cool a particular drive, what I saying from my experience is just a thin copper block with one drive underneath, one on top both just connected by contact through the lid label is enough to significantly reduce the running temps. I could probably make some elaborate and complex design to get the dive 5c cooler overall but it's really not required. Like said I had intended to fix the block to the drives with a copper side plate, and probably still will at some stage, but it's not an important requirement for cooling them

Mine also don't touch the metal case sides as this leads to vibration induced seek noise.