View Single Post
Unread 04-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Take a stab at the "goodness" of your results by calculating a W for the CPU using the dT across wb. It should be mostly flat because the wattage doesnt change. It wont be perfectly flat because as you lower the C/W then more of the CPU's heat goes into the wb and less into the traces of the board. You'll also find with a "below CPU" sensor that there's another problem. There's a baseline temperature that is difficult to go below because the air near the mobo is heated up by the mosfets and other bits all around it. This tends to make good wbs all perform even closer to one another than you'd expect. It's basically the same problem as with using an insocket thermistor, it's just slightly less pronounced. I had all kinds of trouble trying to use an undercore probe with the MCWCHILL tests if you'll recall.

If you want Jaydee I'll solder you up a spare 6657 and CPU. I'm not sure exactly what chips I still have around the house as spares (maybe a 2500+ Barton and a 1200MHz Morgan Duron or something like that?)
That would be excellent. My soldering skills are not good at all on small stuff. I can send you a CPU if you want. I got 2 XP1700's, Duron Morgan 1gig and an older XP1600. I feel I am not going to get far with the probe under the CPU. I did expect that though.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote