View Single Post
Unread 12-11-2004, 01:02 AM   #187
nightic
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks Stew, extremely useful.

I do however have a bit of a dilemma which I'm sure some in my position share;

Whilst chasing performance I'm also intolerent of particularly forward noises.
For this reason I've been unable to get to grips with the Aquaextreme/MCP600 even though I've taken steps to ensure that it's especially well isolated.
I grant you it has not been run in for the 24hours+ after which noise levels are reported to drop as my observations in the first few hours of use indicate that it's never going to be quiet enough for me personally.

From your comments and figures it would seem that the RD-30 is close to ideal apart from the requirement of an ancillary PSU/DC-DC convertor.
Of course these pumps are not proving to be easily or regularly sourceable at a reasonable expense.

If one is to ignore the Eheims for reasons of compromised 'modern' performance (mediocre head, for what it's worth) and convenience (mains powered/potential EM interference issues/size [1250]) then the DDC/MCP350 begins to look increasingly attractive.

Now I don't wish to antagonise BillA beyond his default level (j/k) but there does seem to be a market for 2x these pumps run in parallel.

Assuming, going on the scant reviews thus far published, that the pump @12V is close to inaudible (if not entirely so) then this combination should provide at least D4/MCP650 (12V) levels of performance with far more comfortable noise levels.
The cost aspect for the discerning enthusiast is perhaps not as critical as one would think, given that many are happy to incur extra expense & effort to overvolt their 12V pumps for marginal performance increases.

My personal concerns (not suggesting that they are valid issues, they are merely concerns) with running the single pump in an already plumbed-in 1/2"ID loop with a higher-than-average length of tubing (~10' -- external radiator) are that despite the high head, the relatively low flow may unnecessarily hinder performance.
A switch down to 3/8"-7/16" ID tube may be preferable in this instance but involves considerable effort whereas plumbing in 2x DDCs would merely require a few reducers, wyes & short length of 3/8" ID tube.
There is also the psychological hurdle of contemplating a 6.5mm ID pump amongst a mass of 12.5mm ID PVC.

Just how wrong is it to covet that 2nd DDC?

Last edited by nightic; 12-11-2004 at 12:33 PM.
nightic is offline   Reply With Quote