View Single Post
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

Default Re: San Diego 3GHz 1,5V temps too high?

They had a 5vsb voltage problem with psus. Mobo wouldn't fire up on certain PSUs but psu was fine. I sold my seasonic 500W even though its a great PSU and so dead quiet. Not a major problem but considering its $170-200 mobo.... I should've sold the board instead and kept the PSU instead......

Had problems with 4 ram sticks. The craze now is 2gb ram and people who have tons of 512 mb sticks like me can't go 4x512mb. Having no 1gb stick meant upgrades or no BF2.

Problems running "cheap" ram, OEM ram, RAM slower than pc3200 speeds. they explained as its an expensive OC mobo so they shouldn't have it set to use normal ram.
Expert runs cheap ram with 4x512mb fine. They add more resistors and voltage reg and moved the RAM slots.

Changed the chipset location that used to be right under Vid card. Hot air from vid card was directly vented into chipset. 35C-45C air pumped right into that chipset and that fan failed repeated because it is overworked.Expert moved it to better location

===============================
I got hyped up on DFI by anandtechs article on it. I got my DFI in spring 05 when no one bandwagoned yet. Took me like 2-3 days to uninstall and install basic drivers and windows dozens of times just to run the board. Board had Bio ram quirks from the start. Been through 7 Bios. They didn't have support forum established for people to complain yet like now. DFI-street was empty. Now they got stickies on everything to do that are pages long.

I've gotten over my DFI craze after two boards. One died from volting clock ram 3.7V and not enough cooling around the 4V jumper. I had 120mm fans on the ram but not over that little chip in the corner and board died. Current one is going through 2 day CMOS clear. I doubt it will make it out and I will RMA it.

Last edited by ricecrispi; 03-20-2006 at 05:37 PM.
ricecrispi is offline   Reply With Quote