View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #169
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
well, since you dropped in Ben, . . . .

you here on procooling, and the geek on OCers; birds of a feather (not meant too unkindly)
both started just like the rest of us, noobs
both have MASSIVE post counts, both do try to help
but, particularly in the beginning, both made a TON of incorrect recommendations
and today both are still (but less often) giving out bum advice upon occasion

how to deal with you guys ? (and the other million-count posting experts ?)
I accept that your intentions are the best, that is not the issue
but when you are factually incorrect I, at least, find myself in bad humor that those who have discussed so much still have it wrong

how is the continued dissemination of incorrect info to be stopped ?
Dunno if this is partially directed at me, however if it is, I believe it to be atleast partially mistaken.

Doubtlessly, we all make mistakes and make comments about things that turn out to not be true in the end. (You'd agree with this, right Bill?) Often times, those are the things we ultimately remember the best.

However, there is an important thing to remember, and its something I caught onto quite quickly after joining OCF. There are lots of comments that can contribute to the progression of a discussion. There is no necessity for comments to always be 100% correct, however if not 100% correct, the comments should be accompanied with some sort of reference to how certain one is - For example, "I'm fairly certain this is accurate" or "You might want to look into this further". Others can take thoughts like these and come to further more powerful realizations from them - this happens all the time around here.

The problem comes in when people pass off information as though it were fact, when actually its something they were not sure on or they were altogether wrong on.

How is the continued dissemination of incorrect information to be stopped?

I find this to be an interesting question to pose from your perspective's standpoint. Shouldn't the ability to discern between good and bad information be expected of each member?

In an open public forum, that seems the only realistic solution.

After all, they are already going to have to be able to discern between less important and more important information, given the wealth of information available for them to go through... Correct and incorrect just sit at extreme opposites along the spectrum of what is important and unimportant.

I guess I don't understand the importance of completely eliminateing the responsiblity for the individual to make this distinction. In open public forums like these, we will always face the challenge of overcoming disinformation.

@Joe: It's been nice meeting many of you guys, and catching up with some names I haven't seen in some time.
IMOG is offline   Reply With Quote