View Single Post
Unread 10-07-2003, 11:37 PM   #1
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Default MCWChill Review Progress

Ok my plans to just solder up another CPU and use it for some system testing are all falling to pieces. Over the weekend I killed a 1700+ TBredB, my Epox 8K7A+ that I repaired a few months ago seems to be dead now, and a 2000+ XP I borrowed from KnightElite to solder up and test with was DOA when I tried it this evening. Ever have a bad run of luck?

Sooooo I really want to test out a Swiftech water chiller and complete water cooling kit that Swiftech was kind enough to send me. I happen to have a motherboard that reads from the AMD diode (Epox 8K3A), and what I feel is a reasonable approach. My plan is to epoxy one of the DOW sensors underneath the center of my remaining 1700+ Tbred, make DOW probes that can go into water, and then to test by logging in MBM the CPU diode, CPU under, ambient air, radiator exhaust, and waterblock inlet temperatures to evaluate the water cooling kit. For the water chiller I think that measuring the chiller water in and out temps would be useful. This isn't ideal guys but it's the best I can do with budget constraints. I still haven't purchased the DMMs needed for measuring current and voltage and the insulation for my die simulator so that project isn't really even close to done.

The DOW sensors aren't bad; +/- 0.5C guaranteed and 0.125C resolution. With my current luck I'll end up not sealing them properly and short out something that way.

When I get the money I'll pick up another old AMD motherboard and a CPU I can solder on again.

Last edited by pHaestus; 10-16-2003 at 02:14 PM.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote