View Single Post
Unread 10-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
wozzy_wombat
Cooling Neophyte

I'm running 4 180GB IBM 7200RPM drives in mine with no problems. It sees the drives as 130GB, but runs just fine for prolonged periods with no dramas.

Upgrading a 4000 is fairly straightforward. First, open up the server and pay attention to the jumpering of the drives. There are two kinds of 4000's I've encountered. They both have 2 IDE channels just like a PC, but the later version supports cable select whilst the earlier ones are master/slave. If you get this right then just jumper the new drives the same way and let the server format them for you. You should get 4 drives formatted to a max capacity of ~ 130 GB.

If you can not discern the jumper settings from the drives, as some of the Quantum drives are obscure in this regard, go to the Maxtor website and down load the data sheet as you will be frustrated in your attempt of you get this wrong.

It takes a long time to do this, so budget a good 4 hours to format the drives and then longer if you wish to configure them in RAID 5. It took overnight to build the array when I did this.

Make sure you have a copy of Snap Assist that works with your server, and be sure that there are no connectivity issues preventing you from seeing the server on your network. If it is running fine and rebooting normally before the upgrade you will have no problems. I would assign a non-conflicting IP address before starting the upgrade just to be sure you can re-connect. Whilst the server is reformatting, you can view the disk status from the browser admin console.

Good luck to you!

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zutt
Hello forum,

I own a snapserver 4000 ( 4 * 20 GB / RAID 5) and would lke to upgrade the disks.
The problem is that i have to buy 4 new disk (80 or 120 GB) and if it doesn't work
i ' am stuck with the disks. Thats why i'am looking for a much as in formation i can get.

Questions:

1) Does it work with for example 7200 speed maxtor or seagate disks?

2) Does someone has some documentation on how to do it.

3) Is heat of any importance? ( the current disk are 4500 speed disks .
replacing them with for example maxtor would increase the heat won't it?

Any help much appreciated!

Henny Zutt
Hilversum, The Netherlands
wozzy_wombat is offline   Reply With Quote