View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2004, 12:34 AM   #33
gruntledweasel
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I do have a problem with posts like yours BillA Unregistered. Even though you raise some relevant concerns - it is done solely with the intention of maintaining/elevating your status within the community).
I suggest you dig through some old threads to find out why BillA has swiftech data readily available...and why he is qualified to be in such a position? I don't think he's one to get into a pissing contest to stroke his ego. (Although it is kinda funny to see someone lecturing Bill on swiftech products... ) Personally, I am much more worried about my own objectivity and methodology than Bill's. I'm not saying one should hang on his every word and data point or some such...but he's worth paying attention to. The day he endorses the testing methodology of one of those "9/10 stars editors choice" articles full of marketing fluff is the day I give away my watercooled pc and switch to an iMac.

Feathers, you may find these links helpful...
peltier engineering data
kryotherm software
intel p4 technical specs
p4 thermal design guidelines

Bill and Ben are right...130 watt pelt on a 80-90 watt heat source is not the best plan. If they're wrong, run the numbers and show them where they messed up. If there's a discrepancy between your experimental results and theoretical results, you should be able to pin down exactly where the two diverged. These theories you dismiss so readily were not simply pulled out of some engineer's ass. "Well, I got different results testing so you must be mistaken" is just not a convincing argument without a very clear and detailed writeup of the (sound) testing methodology that produced them. You will learn a lot if you try to understand the tech docs and do the math...I've still got a lot to learn, but I know I'm glad I spent the time trying to wrap my head around that first url I linked. The forums here are also a very helpful resource.

Perhaps the thread should be moved? Whether we have a constructive discussion or not, it doesn't seem to belong in the heatsink/fan fourm.
gruntledweasel is offline   Reply With Quote