View Single Post
Unread 07-30-2004, 03:58 AM   #61
msv
Cooling Savant

Lets see, what *can* be changed?
Idiocy is, unfortunately, cronical.
We can´t prevent people from posting idiotic reviews, if the tester is an idiot.
If someone really wants to flame a review we likely can´t prevent that someone from flaming.
Lack of education, on the other hand, *can* be remedied.
As some allready has suggested, set up a small how-to over testing, listing the most obvious mistakes, physical laws etc. that one should be aware of during testing.
If a bad review is posted somewhere, present the better way to the uneducated tester (in a more or less harsh way). If that someone doesn´t want his/her medicin then feel free to light up the flamethrowers.
But give the tester a fair chance to prove him/herself uneducated instead of assuming idiocy by default.
At least that can remove some of the worst reviews from the net. OK, hopefully, I should know better than just assume something like that.
(why is experience so often of a bitter kind?)

In my beautiful little world noone regards him/herself as an idiot (even if many are wrong on that topic), but calling someone an idiot is a very effective way to make that someone *behave* like an idiot, and defending his/her right to behave in that way, which, of course convinces You even more that this person is an idiot. And the flames get hotter.

Yes, dealing with suspected idiots *is* very demanding and tiering, even dealing with educatable, uneducated is a heavy burden (empiric studies), but my opinion is still that we should give people a second chance before flaming them.

And, no, pr0n is not a better alternative than watercooling, if the teasers allready posted is what will be served.

regards
Mikael S.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnen mihi habis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote