View Single Post
Unread 01-20-2004, 07:45 PM   #45
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

Guys,
This whole thing about painting it black and it will magically radiate heat better is a farse... WHen I was working at OSU.edu, while attending classes, I was involved with there college Formula-1 competition. And we did some testing and what not and we anonized the engine black and other misc temp sensitive parts, but it wasn't just some cheap paint that you get at Home Depot or the like, it's either anonizing or SPECIAL conductive paint! The stuff that you get at regular stores will actually insulate temps! The whole thing about black radiating heat better is true IF 1) The paint is designed for it, or it's an anonizing process, and 2) the coated surface radiating the heat is NOT, I repeat NOT exposed to any heat radiating surface, or else it will absorb MORE heat that the benefits of the coating! Hence the engine block and parts are not exposed to the sun or any heat emitting surface! Relatively speaking of course, there always something emitting heat or reflecting it back...

Just think about it, once you coat something with a store bought paint, which is composed of a color pigment and some sort of epoxy/glue lacquer to make it stick, you have formed another layer which will insulate heat. And the color is only going to effect it, IF there is another source of heat output near it. IE paint 2 boxes; 1 black, one 1white, now put something in the boxes that gives off heat. Take the boxes and put them in the sun, the white box internal temp will be cooler than the black, because it's reflecting some of the extra outside heat load being introduced. Now take the boxes out of the sun and into a dim lit room. The black one is not going to be any cooler than the white one, based on using the same paint type and internal heat source. Paint it black or red or blue etc... it's going to insulate temp, but by how much? NOT A WHOLE LOT! Unless you're caking the layers on and using some mighty thick primer, it's NOT going to hurt temps with in a noticeable amount, I'd say do it if you like, it's not like all of a sudden your temps are going to rise 1C cause you added a THIN spray paint layer. Someone want to try a test on that? Hell just get 2 copper pipes, run a pumped water loop with them, paint one black or whatever color and leave the other one bare. See what temps the pipes are after a good 10min. I'm going to bet the painted one doesn't show a concerning temp diff...
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote