View Single Post
Unread 05-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #9
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Well I am a die hard trial and error dude. I do not know much about scientific stuff. I design a block I think might work by whatever experience I have gathered in the past and make it. If it doesn't work well then I make another with moddified charicteristics that should make a difference such as base plate thickness or what ever uniqe feature you added. For example my pyrmid pins on my REV. 4.0, I started out with them being TO small (REV. 2 and REV. 3), and then worked my way up untill I hit the jackpot with REV. 4 (severly modified from the others REV'S and still has room for improvement). I never made any scientific calculations on anything. I showed the REV. 4 to a design engineer that designs heat exchangers and he was like "Wow, you came up with that?". I went to high school with the guy (same class in fact) so he knows I am not to bright when it comes to calculations. Basic fundementals will get you a long way without calculations. But you do listen to the people that know the calculations and the science as thats where you pick up the basic fundementals as with experience.

Browse around the forums and find blocks people made that seem to work well and read what they say is their theory behind why it works. Good chance they are right with their theory although not always. Ask questions if it isn't to clear. You first need to UNDERSTAND why it works before you make your own version though. There are plenty of people that see a design that works well and not understand why it works well and then makeup a some rediculous thing they call a block and think it will work because it looks similar to one that does work.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote