View Single Post
Unread 09-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
crazylittleman
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Project:Big Loud Server

Construction Error
At some point during the construction of the top section of the frame I wasn't paying attention and I made a rather large error.

(looking down at the bottom of the top)
The original idea was to have a 63mm gap on the right side of the case to hide all the cabling in. But for the above said reasons I have ended up with the 63mm gap on the left.
I cut out most of the L rail with a hacksaw just leaving the two ends glued down. Then I drilled out the rivets and drilled away as much of the remaining aluminum as possible.

Then I cut away as much of it as possible with a Dremel, the Dremel discs i was using were those $20 a set generic crappy ones so it wasn’t really effective at cutting but it did generate enough heat to just melt away the remaining glue.

That was the method i used to remove the 1st 2 joins, the 2nd 2 after i drilled out the rivets then just hit them with a hammer and they came loose.

Finished refitting the cross pieces in the correct position.

All the panels arrived today. It ended up costing $95 for all of them.

Frame Base/Panel

Now I have to panels cut and ready to go i could continue with the frame. The panel and L rails for the base were clamped onto and chip board and the joiner pieces are pre drilled on a drill press are put into position. The pre-drilled joiners are used as a template to drill through the L rail and base panel with a cordless hand drill.

Rivets are test fitted into the holes.

The L rails are then glued directly to the base panel and riveted in each corner.
crazylittleman is offline   Reply With Quote