View Single Post
Unread 03-15-2004, 07:58 AM   #20
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I'm going to side with feathers, just for a brief moment (bare with me):

To me, it seems like the target is to have an "Extreme" cooling solution, and given how straight water-cooling has become so popular, it may not fall within the meaning of "Extreme". One word makes all the difference.

Personally, I believe that using a "Cascade" block falls under the definition of "Extreme". I'd mention the "Cascade SS" (one of 5?, which I have) and "Cascade XXX" (in development) water blocks, which are the best blocks, period, but there's so few of them.

That aside, feathers here seems to be presenting pelts/TECs from their positive side, and not acknowledging the negatives. That worries me.

A pelt failure (i.e. a junction going bad, a power supply failure, etc) will more than likely kill a CPU, simply because the TEC changes from being a carrier of heat, to a role of being a very good insulator. That of course only applies if the TEC sits between the CPU and water block with a coldplate, aka spacer, in between, which should give the user a few seconds or minutes to react, or an onboard monitoring and protection system to kick in.

The other issue is that while pelt cooling is indeed extreme, it's really not energy efficient, and a phase change system is much more desirable, in that aspect.

So what's this website anyways? How come it isn't within feather's profile?
Quote:
My website was created to set the record straight and cut through the bullshit.
Feathers, you might not be aware, but ProCooling isn't your usual enthusiast site. We strive for the highest level of accuracy, and often get into very technical discussions. To present an idea is fine, but you have to make every effort to present the downside, as much as the upside.

In case you missed it, I'd recomend that you visit the "Testing" forum.

Last edited by bigben2k; 03-15-2004 at 08:04 AM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote