View Single Post
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #38
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Default Re: How to choose the optimal 120mm fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkcin
Is there a general rule of how much static pressure mmH2O is enough for radiatorcooling or do I miss other factors?

Is the static pressure proportional so if it's "1" at 2000RPM it's "0,5" at 1000RPM?

Am I wrong if I assume that the more static pressure per RPM a fan makes the better is it for radiatorcooling?

I know, but the heatercores like Chevy86 where a good choice because they had low water and air resistance, but they are to thick for low CFM fans.
The more pressure the better. The problem is that, in general more pressure means more noise. So, the question is how much noise will you tolerate?

Manufacturers don't publish RPM vs Pressure curves. Nore do they publish RPM vs Noise curves. Fans are designed to do a specific job. Most (non watercooling ppl) just buy the fan that fits and delivers the required CFM. Undervolting is not used in the "real world". This freekish community has discovered undervolting and thereby opened up a whole new world of fan choices. I see undervolting as a really, really nit pickey way of getting the CFM vs noise ratio to that ever elusive "sweet spot". IMHO, picking a fan that gives the max cooling at the rated voltage is the way to go. Then undervolt to get less noise for those times when you don't need max cooling. How much undervolting? how much noise? those are personal preferences. With the availability of PWM comtrollers it's hard to go wrong with any fan that gives you the cooling you need. I'm putting together a 2X120 Rad with 2 190 CFM fans, will it be loud...h@#% yes! can I get the fans to run slow enough to be livable and still provide adequate cooling for non intensive use? probably.

Is more static ressure per RPM better is a question like " Is blue bigger than 47 degrees celcius?" It doesn't matter. It's noise and cooling.

And I agree "thick" or anything else that impeeds airflow requires higher flow (higher noise and higher RPM) fans.
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors

Last edited by billbartuska; 12-30-2005 at 09:14 AM.
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote