View Single Post
Unread 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM   #31
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Well, I'd have to say that the results were mixed. Not because of the work done by the powdercoater, but because of not giving proper instructions.

The drive cages, PSU bracket, drive railes, and mobo back plate got gloss black. Everything else got textured flat black.

1.) JBWeld will survive the bake oven, not the burn off oven (800*F, as opposed to 400*F, JBweld only good to 600*F)
2.) They did not burn off my parts
3.) They DID hot acid tank them. removes grease BUT NOT DEBRIS.
4.) The JBweld outgassed (hence it looking like ass in the pictures below) during the powder bake. All the other parts came out VERY nicely.
5.) The dimensions were altered a bit, so a rubber mallet is a good thing to have during reassembly.

Onto the pictures! other than the back plate, which is probably going to get some custom plexi work (decorative, functional) to hide the ugly bits.

They wrapped all my parts up individually in industrial cling wrap when they were done coating them.

Gloss black RAL9005 epoxy. Note the reflection of my workbench in the front of the drive caddy. SWEET.

Back plate. All the unevenness was caused by the outgassing of un-reacted compounds in the jbweld during the baking process :waah: :eeek: :waah:
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote