Quote:
Originally Posted by fhorst
Same here.. silence and fun!

I can agree with the groups:
low noise
low space
low cost

like how can we make a MCP600 "low noise"

Right with you on those groupings. IMHO I wouldn't start a low cost subforum here. There are plently of other forums out there for that. I like the high caliber of this forum. I spent six months on pcper’s watercooling forum and once I learned everything I could over there only then did I become a comfortable noob here. I usually only go to pcper’s watercooling forums now to help out really newbies. Hey, I don’t mind educating uber noobs, I was in their shoes less than a year ago, I would just like to keep “non-college-prep” out of the “honors” classes.

One thing we got to bear in mind when we talk about extreme is what’s extreme? Just pure power?. I love my Iwaki MD-20Z but that's just not an option for a dude who's going extreme--extremely small, like watermodding a SFF. Some guys are big-block muscle car fans. I’m cool with that. But what’s against having have half the horsepower in a much smaller car. Last time I checked a good little Prosche can kick some serious Dodge Viper tail. (Maybe not the best comparison, but you know what I’m getting at).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire
You kind of need to define low noise. For someone who's used to some tornados or deltas just about any other fan is quiet. On the other hand people who are used to a Zalman 7000 most fans at 12v are rather loud.

So is low noise <30dba? <25dba? <20dba? etc...

i consider my computer too loud and the loudest thing is a suspended WD drive.

I don't know about everyone else but i look for silence, preformance, cost and how long i can use the current cooling setup. I could probably keep my pump, heater core and maybe evenmy water block for a rather long time.

IMHO low noise is when your sitting next to your computer and the only way you can tell if it's on is by the power light.

I didn't always think this way, but once you start quieting oooh it gets addicting!

Personally I would like to have it all, with the exception of size, and I'm not that tight money wise as I do most if not all of my stuff myself (as I'm sure most guys here do). To have both power and uber quietness you jsut got to sacrifice on size though. I'll be using at least three heatercores (a pair in an external box) and a 1' x 3' "reserator" (actually an uninsulated hot water heater copper cylinder) as well as lots of foam and undervolting/PWM to achieve what I want.

Oh, and if you’re the type of guy who puts Vantec anything-but-“Stealth” fans in the same category as delta screamers, SPCR is an excellent site for you to check out. (www.silentpcreview.com). Warning though. Their specialty is fans…their watercooling forum isn’t exactly ProCooling level, or even close to pcper.

Even if you're not into quiet computing, which is fine since you should be able to get along in life with a hearing problem just fine ( j/k of course), I suggest this 67CFM @ 12V to you. Why? Well it behaves beautifully on PWM and undervolts well on DC as well. Then it's up to you how you want to run your rig.
Link: http://www.mnpctech.com/Globe.html

DrCR

Last edited by DrCR; 10-08-2004 at 08:25 AM.
DrCR is offline   Reply With Quote