View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
handind
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: 4100 fsck fatal error, please help

Thanks for the response. This is a somewhat critical system here, so I have been on the phone with adaptec support. They determined that all 4 drives are sporadically failing and are going to RMA my unit and send me a new one. Unfortunately, since all drives are having issues, they did not think I would be able to save any of the data.

In case it helps in the future, the server I have is running Snap OS v 4.0.854
I have never replaced any of the drives in this unit. However, this unit is also a refurbished unit that was sent to us a few years ago to replace a different unit that failed.

The guys at the tech support said that many of the 4100s with certain Western Digital drives have a lot of problems.

Unfortunately, the second unit that I have which is exhibiting the same failure issues was out of warranty, so no new server for that one. They tech support individuals suggested that I buy 4 new drives for it and build a new array.

So the good news is I'll be getting a new refurbished system and the support call was free since it turned out to be a hardware issue. The bad news is I'll lose a few days worth of data, but it could have been a lot worse if I hadn't been backing things up weekly.

Now, all that said, I am going to try replacing one of the drives in my unit and rebuilding the array to see if I can recover any of the data since I've got nothing to lose.
handind is offline   Reply With Quote