View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2001, 01:00 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
Cooling Neophyte

Default ducting experiments continued

I made a few "improvedments to my duct, mainly trying to get more airflow through the heatsink... but not so great performance..

Firstly I changed it so that I could have two 80mm fans side by side blowing onto the heatsink. temperatyres were the same or highr than original duct. Then i thought that if i force fed the air sideways through the fins using only 1 80mm fan it would cool them better. disastrous results. So I thought perhaps there was not enough air blowing through. and I did not have enough space to add a 80mm fan. So I created the mega duct: 0ne 120mm monster forcing air through the fins and out the other side. the result: incredible noise at 12V, and rapidly climbing temps at 5V... argh!

My guess is that the design of the heatsink itself (it has fins placed at 90 degrees to the clip, in other words aiming straight at the motherboard when placed on slotket), and this creates too much air resistance at the exit, and thus the air is forced to go back up the duct and out around the edges of the fans. Terrible...

Anyway I'm going to try sealing the edges of the fan and easing the exhaust of the air... but if anyone has any suggestions, they are always welcome.
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote