View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
handind
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: 4100 fsck fatal error, please help

Yeah, I have run the file check in fix all error mode several times with no luck in the last 2 days. Blue68f100, I'd say the capacity of the RAID5 array on my 4100 was about 85% used. The fans inside the unit were a little dusty, but really not bad. The unit is mounted in a rack which has cooling fans going at all times.

I also kind of have wondered if the real problem is not just the drives, but possibly something on the circuit board. When the techs at adaptec support said they would send me a whole new unit (instead of just new drives), I half wondered if they thought something else besides the drives might be bad too.

But, all in all, thanks to my strict backup policies, only about one day worth of data/changes was lost. My users have already re-entered any necessary data changes and I've had everything back up and running since yesterday on a Dell NAS that the company has. So I am no longer at all concerned about recovering any data.

I may purchase a copy of spinrite (I'm assuming its not free) and see what I can do with it. If anyone has any good tips on using spinrite, a link would be appreciated. Just for my own knowledge, I'd like to know if all the drives are really bad.
handind is offline   Reply With Quote