View Single Post
Unread 07-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #12
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohn787
Yeah, I've really been trying to use arcs over splines (less messy code, anyway). The thing that sucks about ACE Converter is that I can't give it two feed rates: one for -Z movements and one for X,Y movements. I either have to manually give all -Z movements slow feed rates and then give X,Y movements faster feed rates. Or, if the program is umanageably huge, I just make the whole damn thing slow, lol. Do you know of any converters that I can use? Given, I like everything else about ACE, especially since it's free.

I’m not quite sure what you mean…why should you change federates for Z-axis so frequently? This work is to be done by so-called prismatic machining, which means that the tool enters the stock in a certain path and federate up to the predefined cutting depth and than does it’s job (X and Y axis movement) while constantly staying on the same depth. Usually the approach and plunge federates could be the same as machining federates. What could change is the federate on a sharp turn along the toolpath in a XY plane, though.

I don’t know about the converters, I use a complete CATIA package.
tex707 is offline   Reply With Quote