View Single Post
Unread 03-17-2005, 05:06 AM   #129
Marci
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I'm not at all convinced that you need quite this much plenum on the pull side to get somewhat-even flow between all the fins, although I'm prepared to be convinced
I was just going off Cathar's figures of 160x160 being the ideal dimension to be used with a single 120mm fan and a shroud at an angle of 12.5 degrees. If you make a shroud for a core of that size based on an angle of 12.5 deg for the shroud then you are left with two options.... 12.5 degrees from vertical (which is what's shown in the pic) or 12.5 deg from horizontal, which results in a plenum of about 10mm... so based on all the info provided by Cathat in this thread, when you build one to all his figures, the above is what you get!! Yep, obviously a 160mm fan or 152mm fan would be ideally suited to the rad, or reduce the depth of the shroud by mounting the fan on the inside of the shroud (note, shroud and fan can be mounted either side of the rad - see the screw hole above the screw in the photo above...) Shroud is mounted on opposing face to barbs in pix purely due to how it will be mounted in our MountainMods testrig...

HAL: Of course.... WACC completely slipped my mind!! Cheers!

Quote:
The radiator itself looks fantastic! Excellent work.
Cheers fella!

Quote:
The fan that I suggested that be matched with was the Papst 4412FGL, while the ThermoChill 120.2 in comparison was using a pair of Papst 4312L fans.
At the moment my only option for testing is to send this and a HE120.2 to JoeC... problem I have is when I last went to order any PAPST fans, DangerDen were out of stock with supply issues and said they couldn't get any in the near future... so for the testing I need 2x PAPST 4312L fans, and 1x 4412FGL... can anyone provide / link me to somewhere that can provide??

Quote:
The shroud really only needs to be 15 degrees off the vertical, but 12.5 degrees is fine too. That figure, however, is an "optimal" shroud depth - meaning that is as good as it gets. Could happily get away with a 45 degree angle and only sacrifice maybe 5% of air-flow performance - heck - it may even be less than that. I mentioned the 15 degree angle thing purely because that is an industry accepted ideal. If the shroud is going to be obstructional, which it clearly appears to be in your small tower case, then by all means make it smaller.
Glad to hear that, it really is enormous here in the flesh... figured if can reduce shroud total depth by 2" & mount the fan on the inside of the shroud then it should be more than acceptable.

Quote:
I had originally envisaged that such a radiator would be placed in the lower front of a case, and the shroud would just be deep enough to suit.
Aye, same here... any alterations made will be done to ensure that the above is possible in the widest range of the most popular cases... question is, what are the most popular cases amongst the watercooling community...? My list comes out as:
  • Coolermaster Stacker
  • LianLi PC7x
  • LianLi PC6x
  • Chieftec Full Tower
  • Chieftec Midi Tower
  • Akasa Eclipse62
  • MountainMods

Based on O-CuK sales in the UK...

Last edited by Marci; 03-17-2005 at 05:11 AM.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote