View Single Post
Unread 12-06-2002, 10:42 PM   #6
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar
Before you do anything further - please install and test it first - that way you at least know if you're making things worse or better...
As you point out, short of sending it to BillA for testing, I won't likely be able to determine the result of any mods I do. I've been assuming I could use the results Bill gets, for the block you sent him, as a baseline if I ever wanted to have my mods tested. Is there any reason my block (pre mods) wouldn't match the one you sent to Bill fairly closely?

I don't have anything to test this on myself. I'm on a Celeron 300A @ 450 right now. (Waiting on Granite Bay and Barton right now.) If I come up with something that I think will make a definite improvement, I may send my modded block to Bill.

I think I'm pretty safe in reaming the outlet barbs. I doubt it makes a very significant difference. If there is a way it could be detrimental, I'd be interested in learning how.

Quote:
Given that you're fighting the restriction you may gain maybe 5% greater flow rates than in the configuration that it's currently in.
Because I'm hoping to put a microchannel GPU block in series, I think I'll be wanting as little restiction within the CPU block as I can get. Any idea how restrictive your GPU block is going to be relative to the CPU block?

Quote:
What may be of more benefit is having a 1-2mm "lip" hanging down from the bottom of the nozzle plate that partially extends into the channel areas to create something that looks more like a nozzle (1 per channel)

This was something that I considered but could not find a way to cheaply machine it without adding an extra $20 on top of the cost.
Is that $20 AUD or USD? If it got an extra 0.01 C/W, (At an acceptable pressure drop.) I wouldn't balk at $20AUD. At 0.005C/W I'd give it a lot of consideration. If you think a fairly substantial improvement in performance could be achieved, it might be worth considering an optional nozzle plate. I really really hate to say this, because I love the fact that you discuss this stuff in public, but maybe you should keep these ideas to yourself.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote