View Single Post
Unread 12-07-2002, 08:47 PM   #12
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Since87
Interesting idea.

I just noticed that the top of the baseplate and the bottom of the nozzle plate appear to be lapped too. Impressive.

Have you looked at how well the AS stays in place with waterflow through the block?
Yes - all the plates are lapped on both sides, although the inner surfaces are only done to 120-grit. The visible top plate is done to 300-grit, and the base to 600-grit. For the internal surfaces I wanted to ensure even pressure for the O-ring, plus it assists in internal heat-transfer, which I can tell because when I lap the base, which is done after the insides have been lapped and the block assembled, the top of the block heats up quite noticable as I'm lapping the base.

AS will assist in the fin-middle plate transfer slightly. One may ask why not just make the fins higher, and the answer to that is that this drops the water-velocity and results in lower performance, so it's all a bit of a delicate balancing act.

In the one block I did the AS on the AS did not appear to come away from the surface at all after a few weeks of 10lpm (2.5gpm) flow, so in that respect it seems to be fairly resistant, and any AS trapped between the middle plate and fin tops should be pretty much right for the long term.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote