View Single Post
Unread 03-14-2003, 08:19 PM   #116
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Blair has my respect for doing the hardest thing a elected rep of his people can do. Lead where it isn't populer, but that is yet the right way to go.

I don't expect you to agree with my views and by now I'd think you know the same.

As to the US leadership by Presidant Bush, he does have the majority of the nation behind him, his road is far easier than Blairs.

The UN may well go the same route as the leage of nations did. For some years now it's been no more effective. Had the UN taken a strong/firm stand with Saddam it may have been possible to convince him to disarm. A devided international voice has insured that isn't going to happen.

I frankly see not one thing the US has gained by membership in the UN for the last 50+ years. The UN has gained hugly by our membership on the other hand. We supply a massivly disproportionate share of both cash and troops. (I'd be glad to see the US scale back that support, although I realisticly don't think the US as a whole is to that point, although not so far from it as the UN would like to think.) Scale back support in both troops and cash to just the amount equal to our percentage of the membership. Then let us see how quickly the other nations step up to pay a full membership share. Only good reason to even stay to that degree is to use the veto to block passage of agendas we dislike.

The Iraqi leadership has had years to disarm and hasn't. My main hope is that our troops are not to constrained in combat. Rather a few more of them come home than worry about civilian casualtys in the citys of Iraq where the leadership of Iraq will no doubt try to focus the conflict. A further example of the disregard they have for their own people. Iraq's leadership is prepared to use the Iraqi civilian population as a buffer to slow/hinder US forces. Saddam would gladly see the Iraqi people die to maintain his armed forces to keep himself in power.

I'm sorry to say that I think that the Iraqi goverment is going to be changed by force. I'll not miss Saddam by any means. But do regret only the cost in young British and American lives, no matter how few.