View Single Post
Unread 08-16-2003, 04:01 AM   #92
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

Quote:
CoolROD: I think your res. idea is great. The cap, quartz liner, and active parts from this UV-5 could easily be adapted to your idea. The bulb measures:
Hmmm... I think a couple of bits must have fallen out of your post no numbers came through on my end...

Quote:
I am pretty sure that PVC gets brittle in natural sunlight b/c of the UV it contains -we'll have to check into that.
Could be, although I've seen a number of installations that use PVC in outdoor applications, and don't seem to make any great effort to cover it. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing something to the effect that NATURAL (clear) PVC has problems with UV embrittlement, so they put white coloring agents in the plumbing stuff to keep the UV from penetrating. Perhaps looking at a pipe mfgr website would give more info.

Quote:
CoolROD I saw another page today that claimed that their mercury vapor had 95% 254 nm light- energy let-through ...of the UV light.
Is this the same bulb as what you have in your unit? If so I'm confused because earlier you said the Philips bulb was 'hot cathode' but this post implies that it's cold cathode (and better for it) If it's two different bulbs perhaps we need to get specs on both and compare.
Hmm... I just did a bit of poking around on each site, neither is a fountain of information ;( but it looks like the Ster-L-Ray people have both hot and cold cathode bulbs. (with a cold cathode bulb, perhaps one of the modder lighting kits could be used to give it power? (I don't know much about those kits. Since I don't plan to have windows in my case, I've pretty much ignored them....)The shortest length either comes in is nominal 12" w/ bulb holders, 9 3/16" base to base. No mention of diameters. Ster-L-Ray also has the tubes, w/ several different diameters, but no mention of lengths. They offer several 'inline' type units, though it looked like all were pretty big. They also have an item called a 'Tankmaster' that looks like it might work - it has a bulkhead fitting w/ the tube sticking out of it and a ballast. 10" long, no mention of diameter, size of fitting, etc. It appears to use the hot cathode lamp.

The down side of the Ster-L-Ray folks is all their stuff appears to be stainless steel, their sales stuff claims that this is a virtue because the plastic products deteriorate over time. I see it as a potential problem, what is the reactivity of SS in a copper / brass WC system? I know SS is supposed to be fairly inert, but...

I don't have time for it tonight, but they have a 'ask the expert' area, so I may sign in and ask some more specific questions....

Gooserider