View Single Post
Unread 11-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Re: Ben's Hackintosh Build in a G5 PowerMac Case... (Need some input on hardware)

From my thread on O/C:

Quote:
Well, I plan to either write this up for the logs section or perhaps OverClocker.com but as I go I'll post things in here. Only hardware goodies will be posted, the name will not pose a threat on any policy here but mods, feel free to change the H to an M if you must. To thread viewers, no software discussions.

And if you're wondering how I came upon this mac, want to see pics of what it looked like originally or what was wrong with it, see my original G5 related thread here.

Hardware:
PowerMac G5 Case - Bought a whole G5 with a bag logic board for $110
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 for $50 shipped (new in box, but buying used) Big thanks to Evilsizer!
Processor - i5 750, Not yet acquired
Memory - 4 GB or 8 GB kit of DDR3, Not yet acquired
Video - BFG 8800GT 512 MB for $65 shipped when I bought it (a good while ago)
Storage - Western Digital 500 GB, HP SATA DVD Burner, 2 TB drive to come
Power - Uncased Antec Earth Watts 550 with custom wiring to come

I'll start off this thread with a bunch of pics. I've been thinking about everything so much over the past couple days it would be a pain to write out all my thoughts and ideas but from now on I'll probably post them as I go.

So there they are, just some ideas and not much work yet. Did manage to steal some sleeveing too, from now useless server cables. Pictures isn't even half of what I ended up with. Going to be connecting the power supply to the G5's original plug that brings power up to the superdrive and HDDs and then bringing down the fan wires to the bottom bay. I'll have a terminal strip to connect and optimize those. Tonight I finally got the wires labeled on those so things should be pretty slick 'n easy now. The only wires visible (and I'll hide em the best I can) will be the 24 pin motherboard wire, the 8 pin CPU wire and the 6 pin PCIe. Going to sleeve those and make them look all nice. Not the silly one sleeve per wire, but the cleaner more practical one sleeve per bundle :thup:

Now, if anyone could help me by fabbing up a front panel breakout cable that takes the powermac's front board and breaks it out to connectors for audio, firewire, usb, power button and the power LED I would be grateful.

Also, thanks to Visbits for hostthenpost.org where I'll be uploading my pics

Up next, after a trip to the hardware store for heatshrink and other electrical related goodies will be the wiring of the power supply and fans.
Original Post

Last edited by ben333; 11-11-2010 at 07:51 PM.
ben333 is offline   Reply With Quote