View Single Post
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
MiSP
Cooling Neophyte

Default 360 rad enough to cool OCed i7 920, 2 GTX 480s and MB?

I am currently building my first "real" watercooled rig, so I'm terribly sorry if these questions seem stupid to more experienced users. I have almost everything at hand now - just waiting for my three radiator fans to arrive.

This is my system (case and watercooled parts):
  • Corsair 800D
  • Core i7 920 @ 4GHz
  • 2 GTX 480 SLI
  • Asus P6T Deluxe v2
This is my watercooling setup:
  • Feser (TFC) Xchanger 360
  • 3 Noctua NF-P12 fans
  • Laing DDC 18w (Swiftech MCP355) with XSPC res top
  • EK waterblocks for all components mentioned above (for the MB: full cover + 2 mosfet blocks)
Now, I realize some of you may be hardcore watercooling users. I am not, and I don't expect my system to run with temps just above room temperature. However, I wonder if the watercooling system mentioned above is enough to allow an 4GHz overclock on the 920, as well as running everything within safe temperatures. I initially thought it would, but have since begun doubting this. What do you experts say?

If I have to upgrade, I was thinking of adding two single 120 radiators in a separate loop for the CPU (at the exterior/interior back and interior bottom of case), and everything else (GPU and MB) on the Feser 360. (I could have the MB in the CPU loop, but I will not OC the GPUs, and they normally operate under higher temps than the other components anyway, so I figured having them together with the MB blocks will be fine.) This means purchasing two new 120mm radiators (or preferably 140mm actually, but I haven't seen many of those), another identical pump, probably a dual XSPC res, and two more NF-PF12s. I do not want to casemod, as I'm not quite the handyman and do not have any tools for drilling or cutting.

To summarize, I would be very grateful for your opinion on these three setups (for the use described above):
  • Everything (CPU, GPUs, MB) in a single loop using a single 360 rad at the top
  • Everything in a single loop as above, but with two single 120mm rads between the CPU and the rest - probably a bit too much for the pump?
  • Two separate loops - one for the CPU using two 120mm rads, and one for the rest (MB and GPU) using the 360 rad
Of course the latter would be recommended given unlimited funds, but could I make do with the former?

And of course, any other suggestions and input is highly welcome!

Last edited by MiSP; 05-10-2010 at 01:50 PM.
MiSP is offline   Reply With Quote