View Single Post
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #123
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Given that the 1 amp output rating is due to the regulator, (LM7805 or the like), I think I'm going to assume that the power draw is very minimal, and maybe TTL level-like.

I figure that, beyond WOL, it probably triggers the PSUs ON, when the power button is used. It might also drive an LED on the mobo.

So now I need to figure out how to route +5 Vsb to the mobo, without knowing which PSU it'll come from.

Option 1: make the first PSU of the array a requirement. It would provide +5 Vsb (as well as -5V and -12V, if I find that they're needed). This would simplify decoding the "power good" lines, as PSU1 must be ON, as well as either PSU2 or PSU3 (one AND and one OR gate).

Option 2: Use the 3 +5Vsb lines as TTL inputs, and devise a circuit that'll output a TTL level signal, hoping it'll be powerful enough.

Option 3: use a Yo_duh style circuit to merge the three lines. A relatively expensive solution.

Ok, I'm going to go with #1: it's obviously the easiest, safest, and simplest solution.

In the mean time, I measured the area within my case, to see how it's all going to fit. These PSUs are built in such a way that modifying them to be slimer would require a lot of work, so that part is out. Watercooling however, is still a possibility (but will be delayed indefinitely).

Within my case, I have 6 * 5 1/4 bays, and 2 * 3 1/2 bays. If I remove the 3 1/2 tray, and leave only one 5 1/4 bay available, all three PSUs will fit (PSU height: 3 3/8". Total height: 10 1/8").

So much for a DVD drive. Goodbye floppy. Where am I gonna fit the temp probe displays?!? (hack time )

The PSUs are just a tad wider than a CD-ROM (by about 1/8"), so I'll have to bang up the case's innards a little bit. Drive rails can still be used, I think... I'll need to tap screw holes to the PSU sides.

The last thing I need to do now, is figure out how to route the AC power to each unit. Since the PSUs are turned around, the AC inlet is facing the front of the case. I also need to add a power switch to each one, as well as a couple of status LEDs.

The original plan was to use panel mounted multipin connectors, through which *everything* would be routed. I don't have those connectors yet, and I don't have a built frame for it right now.

Yo_Duh's circuit assembly is coming along nicely. I also started to build the pump relay switch, and finished assembling the revised airtrap.

That's the weekend report!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote