View Single Post
Unread 11-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #322
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
if those are solder tabs that may be a TTV, all TTVs are mounted in their respective sockets
since the CPU/socket/mobo will have to be replicated (as part of the source) to mount a sink or wb that locates off the mobo, there is a lot of hardware involved;
other systems let the mobo float between the chassis and the sink,
and it will be a brand new exercise for BTX
That's the complication I was worried about.

From my perspective, the IHS is mounted in a way to spread the applied mounting pressure between the core area and the rim of the IHS. In what proportion, we do not know.

To estimate it, we'd need all of the measurement of *everything* (core, substrate, IHS), then we'd need to know how thick the seal is on the rim of the IHS, then we'd need to know how hard it(seal) is; then we could quantify how the mounting pressure is spread out.

It's a nightmare.

The load cell idea is great, but I'd rather use the heat dies straight out (10 by 10 and 14 by 14mm), no IHS, and apply an offset for temperature calculations (if we can ever figure them out), which should make up for the missing IHS in the test bench.

Anyone disagree?

Alternatively, we could put on a free-floating IHS, and use mounting pressure similar to bare core mount specs (i.e. 24 to 30 lbs), but that assumes that that's the actual pressure.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote