View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2005, 08:50 AM   #9
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Default Re: product testing today – who is being served ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
OK so here's a draft test system that would be a little bit more sophisticated. It would be capable of doing what my old test bench did more or less but at a slightly lower resolution:

Crystalfontz 633 DOW reader/logger/controller ($100US)

-DOW probe modified for water inlet
-DOW probe modified for water outlet
-Array of 4 DOW probes in a circle for air inlet

Use the fan headers for monitoring fan rpms/PWMing the radiator fans to reach a set water inlet temp (as close as possible anyway).

Use the fan header to also record flow rates of the system using a Swissflow flowmeter ($100US)

Groove the IHS and use a small tc to read CPU temp? $200ish?

Calibrate all the probes in the same water bath from 0-50C or so and then go to town.

What about incoherent's old thermistor-based setup? It measured dP I think instead of flow, but in principle could be used as well?
answering in no particular order:

any sensor type yielding an indicated 0.1°C resolution can be used IF it can be caled
but we should not recommend sensors with known durability problems, coolant sensors need to be in a moisture impenetrable sheath (ck Omega, not a deal breaker)

I still have reservations about a Swissflo
-> anyone want to loan me one and I'll ck it against a 0.2" dia mag meter (with head loss) ?

I think grooving the IHS is the challange
the groove depth and width should barely exceed the dimensions of 40ga TFA coated TC wire laid flat, a dwg is needed
note that the plane of the IHS surface from the edge to the center must be established to avoid cutting too deeply into the crowned central area
- the real dificulty may be to find a machine shop willing to do such as one-offs

I'm probably at the limit of being able to speak as I have no mobo testing exp at all
got a link to Incoherent's thermistor post/thread ? (I'm not clever enough to search here)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote