View Single Post
Unread 11-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

Default OT: Insurance Claim Help Needed!!!

Sorry if this a little off-topic but i'm needing some info on how to deal with an insurance company as I got hit head on by someone who swerved into my lane this weekend. I'm hoping some of you here have dealt with similar situations before and can give me some insight to what I need to do to prevent myself from getting screwed over.

Heres the scoop. My truck is a 1978 Chevy Silverado. The offending vehicle was a 1990's something Isuzu Rodeo. The Isuzu swerved into my lane and hit me head on. The ticket that the other driver got was for "failure to yield left turn." I'm sure him turning left was some BS story he managed to muster up because before the impact, I did not see the drivers head, and he was driving in my lane way before the turn. The impact also happend before the turn that he stated to be turning into. There was no directional signal either. But he did get the ticket so that pins the fault on him so i guess that's what matters.

Now here's where it gets bad. My truck is totalled. The frame is bent to hell and the repair costs will greatly exceed what the truck is worth. The problem is, I've just invested $6000+ in driveline components. I'm talking brand new high performance engine with less than 300 miles on it, tranmission, rear end, new radiator, 4 new tires, new braking system all the way around, brand new exhaust not a few weeks old, and a front end alignment just the day before...ha.

Now I know the bluebook value on my truck is going to be very little or non existant because of it's age. The first thing I can think of the other drivers insurance company doing is saying the truck is totalled (which it is), then wanting to write me a check for a very low amount, and hauling the truck away were they can strip the truck of my investments and make themselves a huge profit.

The first goal right now is that I NEED to keep my truck. No matter what, the insurance company CAN NOT under any circumstances take that truck with the large amount of money I have invested in it. Most of the parts, mainly the engine, transmission, rear end, brakes etc are still good. Do I have the option to deny their money and keep my truck ? After all I do have the title. This weekend the truck is going to be put on a trailer and stored in an undisclosed location and locked up where they wont be able to find it.

I have more questions but for now I just need to know where I stand about keeping my truck. Any help is appreciated.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote