View Single Post
Unread 02-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #25
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Default Re: sensor calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
I cannot speak for 'scientific' labs, though others here can/could if they wished to do so
industry (where I live) generally use ASTM or similar type equipment and procedures; good enough to produce repeatable results over time and between facilities
- the 'acceptability' of data is quite predicated on others being able to replicate it
Sure. Was just interested in how it's done. Saw ASTM.ORG but didn't dig through their stuff. That's the real thing, of course. But, that costs money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
this is procooling, zeros are our friends
Sure. Didn't know if there was a shortcut to getting more zeroes. I'm not going to comment on overall test setup though. I've already put my one cent in and it didn't seem to matter. I was more interested in knowing how lab instruments get calibrated to such exacting standards. Perhaps it's cheaper to get an ultra accurate and high resolution instrument calibrated and then use it to calibrate lesser instruments than try to use physical "set points" to calibrate each instrument for the labs. I say cheaper for the calibration businesses, not us. For us, it'd be cheaper to get our instruments calibrated by one of those businesses if we want trustable results at great resolution.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote