View Single Post
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
SaFeHeX
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Large >1TB drives in GOS unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschw95458 View Post
It would be my suggestion to HarryC and anyone using the WD green drives to turn off the intellipark feature on these drives. It seems to kill them quick. Search the web for wdidle3.exe.
Thanks for the tip!

Although i don't use any WD Green drives at this moment in time (i have a few RE4's etc) but having searched for some info on this "wdidle" issue, i found a lot of interesting and usefull info and links that will most likely come in very handy in the future.

From what i have just read (all be it in no great detail yet) it does appear to be a contributing factor to premature failure.

As much as it's nice not to waste power, i value my data and the longevity of the drives more.

Thank you for the info.

Also, my thanks to HarryC for the update on how his WD Black drives have been performing over the last couple of years. I've never been much of a fan of WD drives but i do own some. For the past few months (maybe years now, time flies), i have aquired a few more WD drives in the collection and admittedly i have had no issues with them. Mostly they have been RE versions however. I'm liking the build quality of the newer WD's more than the older ones but i have read good and bad for most drive manufactures so at the moment i'm keeping an open mind for all makes and models.

I do think it's good that you have come back and kept people updated. The proof of the pudding is always in the eating they say!

Last edited by SaFeHeX; 04-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.
SaFeHeX is offline   Reply With Quote