View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2004, 07:55 PM   #24
DDogg
Cooling Neophyte

Inlet temp is still at 27C. I'm starting to feel real good about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
... She might totally approve.
She would look at me and say, "Good try, dear, that was really some lovely BS - Quite inventive" :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolito_fr
... The question is not "could it dissipate that amount of heat", but rather how hot would it get?
At what point do you consider it to be no longer "dissipating"? <snip>
Yep, I take your point. Perhaps I should have phased it more along the lines of - How much heat can be added until the ability to sink that wattage is inadequate and the temp can no longer be held at 27C. Something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader
Will you eventually saturate the gound around the loop? I mean you're basically tapping a stored resiviour of colder material. Eventually you should use it up right?

Or is the ground conductive enough that it doesn't heat up much around the coil?
As far as using it up, seems to me you would have to heat up the whole planet. Its all one contiguous ball of heat sink material ;-) Technically, I guess, my heat is being sinked into the polar caps as they are the coolest points on the earth (I think).

I'm sure I'll eventually find a point where the surrounding ground can't wick the heat away from the coils fast enough to hold a constant temp as it is doing now. Still, that would only cause my temps to move up very slowly and re-stabilize at a slightly higher constant with that specific load. [lolito_fr's point, I think]

The coils lay in a 2x5 feet square. 10 square feet (sorta-kinda 'cause they are coils) hooked up to the planet is one big mama heat sink. I don't think my piddly 200 watts is going to bother it too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobuchi
You stopped digging when you hit hard "muck". That's saturated clay, I guess, great stuff for wicking up deeper water and staying cool. If your coils aren't actually buried in it, changes in soil moisture will show up in MBM. Water the flowerbed in dry months. Wife take note.
Around here when you say muck, you are talking about black stuff that squishes up between your toes, and it sure ain't oil :-) We have a low water table this time of the year.

Last edited by DDogg; 10-21-2004 at 08:14 PM.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote